The Psychological Principles Behind Order CustomizationThis article will explore the underlying principles behind order customization, more commonly known as upselling and downselling. When a customer has agreed to buy something you have a much higher chance of selling them something else in that moment than you would at a later date. Researchers like Dr Robert Cialdini have shown that there are definite psychological principles that define customer behavior and how you can influence buying decisions. Smart marketers are using this to their advantage. The question is, “Is this unethical manipulation of just good business sense?
The North Wind And The Sun
- The North Wind and the Sun were disputing which was the stronger, when a traveler came along wrapped in a warm cloak.
- They agreed that the one who first succeeded in making the traveler take his cloak off should be considered stronger than the other.
- Then the North Wind blew as hard as he could, but the more he blew the more closely did the traveler fold his cloak around him;
- and at last the North Wind gave up the attempt. Then the Sun shined out warmly, and immediately the traveler took off his cloak.
- And so the North Wind was obliged to confess that the Sun was the stronger of the two.